Ingredients for roast vegetable tortillas (serves 3):
– 3 large aubergines
– 6 peppers (not green as they have a different taste)
– 3 avocados
– 3 tortilla wraps
(Optional) pumpkin seeds and fresh herbs
1. Preheat the oven to gas 7 (220 C)
2. Top and tail the aubergines and place on a baking tray, whole. Roast for about 45 mins-1 hour until the skins are really charred and the aubergines feel soft when a knife is inserted. This great aubergine cooking method is inspired by Ottolenghi but simplified a bit.
3. Once the aubergines are in the oven, cut the tops off the peppers, remove the white parts with a sharp knife and tap out any remaining seeds. Place the peppers on a baking tray (whole) and cook on a rung underneath the aubergines, leaving them there until the aubergines are ready.
4. You can turn the vegetables once, roughly half way through cooking, but this isn’t essential.
5. When the aubergines are ready, remove from the oven, cut open lengthways and scoop out the flesh. It may help to steady the aubergine with a fork and scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
5. Remove the peppers from the oven and peel off the skins if you like, although this takes much longer and may not be worth the effort! Slice the peppers and avocados.
6. Place the aubergine and peppers in a saucepan and heat through gently. Warm the tortilla wraps for a couple of minutes in the oven on a low heat.
7. Divide the mixture between the tortillas, top with the avocado (and seeds/herbs if you are using), roll up and enjoy!
While they may look like a charred mess, the aubergine skins are surprising tasty spread with a little hummus.