This really is a great way to be confident that you will be serving courgettes with a great flavour which is slightly spicy without being hot. The basic idea comes from a vegetarian recipe book, but I’ve veganized it and added a few of my own ingredients. It’s great with pitta bread, but you can also add rice for a more substantial meal.
Ingredients for creamy courgette with cumin (serves 2):
– 1 onion
– A splash of olive oil
– 1-2 tsp cumin seeds
(Optional but nice) a few fennel seeds
– 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
– 2 courgettes
– A good handful of sultanas
– A good handful of nuts (e.g. pistachios)
– 1 pack of soya cream
1. Chop the courgettes and onion and set aside.
2. Heat the oil and add the onion. Sautee until it goes semi-transparent, stirring constantly. Add the garlic, cumin seeds and a small pinch of the fennel seeds (these have a strong flavour) and stir over a low heat very briefly as the seeds will burn easily.
3. Add the courgette and continue to sauté until it goes tender (around 10 mins).
4. Add the soya cream, sultanas and nuts and simmer for another 5 mins. Serve straight away.