This sauce is so easy to do and makes the pasta taste genuinely lovely. It would also be great with spaghetti (which is generally egg-free unless it’s fresh).
Ingredients for pasta with homemade tomato sauce (serves 2):
- 1 onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 carton of tomato passata
- 1 tsp yeast extract
- 1/2 jar of black olives, rinsed
- 150g pasta
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the onion and crush the garlic cloves. Roughly chop a generous handful of parsley.
- Heat a generous splash of oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic. Sautee for around 5 mins or a little longer, until the onion is really soft but not brown. Stir almost constantly to prevent burning and disaster!
- Add the tomato passata, olives, parsley and yeast extract. Cover, turn down the heat and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water, along with a good splash of oil. Simmer for around 10 mins, until soft. Drain the pasta, then stir into the sauce.