Gnocchi are an even quicker alternative to pasta. They’re essentially made from potatoes and flour, but they sometimes have egg in so it’s worth checking the packaging (the ‘allergy advice’ section gives you a clue). The ‘Trattoria Verdi’ brand in Tesco is definitely egg-free and I used a standard Italian sauce with an oriental twist.
Ingredients for gnocchi with sweet tomato and ginger sauce (serves 3):
– 1 pack of gnocchi
– A splash of oil (e.g. rapeseed)
– 2 tins of tomatoes
– 1tbsp grated root ginger
– 2 tbsp brown sugar
– A little mixed spice
– Fresh basil
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add a splash of oil.
2. Gently simmer the tinned tomatoes in a separate pan. Add the root ginger, sugar and a sprinkle of mixed spice.
3. When the water has boiled, add the gnocchi and wait until they rise to the surface (this only takes a few minutes).
4. Drain the gnocchi but add the sauce to them. You may not need all the sauce and it’s best to avoid drowning the gnocchi. Add some fresh basil to garnish.