This is a handy recipe if you appreciate the benefits of green veg but don’t enjoy it boiled. It’s also very cheap, and involves ingredients that would probably appear in any omnivorous kitchen.
Ingredients for broccoli and peanut noodles (serves 3):
– 1/2 onion (or about 4 mini shallots)
– Some vegetable oil or vegan spread
– 1 broccoli
– Around 500ml veggie stock
– 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
– 5 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
– 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
– A packet of straight to wok noodles
– Optional: sunflower seeds to garnish
1. Peel and chop the shallots. Chop the broccoli, rinse and set aside.
2. Melt a spoonful of vegan spread in a saucepan, or heat some oil. Sautee the onion until it becomes transparent. Add the chopped broccoli and about a mug of the stock. The broccoli won’t be anywhere near covered, but I find it develops a better flavour when cooked in this way.
3. Add the garlic, partially cover and simmer until the broccoli is as tender as you like it. Stir every so often. Stir in the peanut butter and a sprinkle of sugar, plus some extra stock.
4. Stir in the noodles, separating with a fork if they are vacuum packed. Serve while still piping hot and garnish with some seeds if you have them.