Ingredients for Mediterranean tagliatelle (serves 3):
– 250g tagliatelle
– 1 onion
– A little vegetable oil
– 2 peppers (but not green as they taste different)!
– 2 courgettes
– 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
– 1 veggie stock cube
– Grated zest of 2 lemons (use the finer side of a cheese grater)
– 1 jar black olives
– Fresh herbs if possible (e.g. basil or parsley), if not some dried herbs will do
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Meanwhile, chop the onion and dice the courgettes and peppers
2. Place the tagliatelle in the pan of boiling water, add a splash of oil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and sautee the onion until it goes semi-transparent, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and veg and sautee for another few minutes, again stirring often.
4. Crumble the stock cube over the veg and add a good splash of water. Allow the veg to simmer until it becomes tender- (about 5-10 minutes). Stir frequently and add just enough water to keep it moist but not enough to create a lot of excess liquid.
5. While the veg is simmering, rinse the olives and add to the pan along with the herbs and lemon zest.
6. You may want to serve the veg and tagliatelle separately, as I find it’s quite hard to ensure that everyone gets the right balance of veg and pasta when the dish is served as a whole.