This dish was originally meant to be a flan, but when it became clear that the base wouldn’t hold together I turned it into a crumble instead. It really tastes delicious and the oaty crumble adds something quite unusual. It goes well with lemon and basil sauce, so the recipe’s there for that too.
Ingredients for sweet potato and carrot crumble (serves 3):
– 3 packs of oatcakes (i.e. 3 of the individually wrapped packets)
– 2 tbsp sunflower oil
– 3 medium sweet potatoes
– 4 large carrots
– 400 ml veggie stock
– A good handful of parsley
– 1tbsp brown sugar
Ingredients for lemon and basil sauce:
– 1 small carton of soya cream
– A good handful of basil
– Zest of 3 lemons
1.Crush the oatcakes (put them in a bowl and use a rolling pin) then stir in 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp water. Set aside.
2. Peel and slice the veg. Place in a pan with the water, stock and parsley. The veg won’t be covered, but it cooks nicely like this and develops a great flavour.
3. Simmer the veg until tender (about 20 mins) with the lid on. Stir regularly.
4. Meanwhile, spread the oatcake mixture out in a dish and bake on gas 6 (200 C) for about 15 mins.
6. If preparing the sauce, pour the soya cream into a pan. Add a good handful of chopped basil along with the lemon zest, but don’t heat it up yet.
5. When the veg is nearly ready, stir in the sugar and put the sauce on to simmer for about 5 mins.
6. When the veg is cooked, place in a dish and top with the oaty crumble. Garnish with some parsley.