These certainly aren’t the type of ingredients you’d expect to find with noodles, but they work really well and the dish has a lovely savoury-sweet flavour.
Ingredients for red cabbage and almond noodles (serves 3):
– 1/2 packet flaked almonds
– 1/2 red cabbage
– A generous handful of figs
– 3 leeks
– Rapeseed/olive oil
– A jug of veggie stock (500 ml plus extra)
– 1 packet of spinach
– 1 tbsp brown sugar
– 2 packets of egg-free straight to wok noodles
1. Place the almonds on a baking tray and roast in the oven on gas 6 (200 C) for 5-10 minutes until golden.Remove from the oven and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, chop the cabbage and figs. Slice the leeks lengthways.
3. Heat a good splash of oil in a pan and add the leeks. Sautee gently for about 5 mins, stirring constantly, until they begin to soften. Add the cabbage and sautee for a few more minutes.
4. Add about 500 ml stock, plus the figs, spinach, sugar and a good sprinkle of nutmeg. You may need to add the spinach in several batches, stirring one in until it wilts then adding the next. Simmer for around 10 mins, stirring very regularly.
5. Add the noodles and simmer until hot through, stirring regularly. You may need to add a little more stock at this point.