This is a quick and tasty casserole that can be turned into an exotic version of shepherd’s pie by being topped with mashed or sliced sweet potato. I know the ingredients list looks long, but the items are generally cheap and it’s quick to prepare.
Ingredients for fragrant bean casserole (serves 4):
– 1 onion
– A little vegetable oil
– 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
– A tin of chickpeas
– A tin of beans (e.g. kidney or haricot beans)
– 2 carrots
– A generous handful of sultanas
– A generous handful of dried figs and dried apricots (chopped)
– 1 garlic clove (crushed)
– 1 small piece of ginger (peeled and grated)
– A few cardamom pods (around 6)
– A small sprinkle of cinnamon (1/4 tsp)
1. Chop the onion and set aside. Peel and chop the carrots. To prepare the cardamom pods, crush them, extract the seeds and crush these. A rolling pin works well for this if you don’t have a pestle and mortar.
2. Rinse the pulses and place in a bowl along with all the other ingredients except the onions and oil.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion. Sautee until it begins to go transparent.
4. Add the other ingredients and simmer until ready to serve, stirring regularly. It will need to simmer for at least 20 mins, but can be simmered for longer. This recipe also works really well in the slow cooker; just add all the ingredients in together and look forward to a kitchen filled with lovely smells when you come home.