Muesli, blackberries, soya milk
This is normally a really great combination but the blackberries were unbelievably bitter! I was suspicious when I saw that they had little purple patches but decided to be optimistic and give them a go. My optimism was not rewarded.
Hummus sandwich, fruit and nut mix, strawberries
This was a really nice light lunch, and the fruit and nut mix made quite a healthy crisp alternative.
Spaghetti with herbs, pine nuts and cherry tomatoes. Salad (with dried cranberries and more pine nuts)
I’m lucky enough to have some amazing ingredients at the moment as my parents have recently been on holiday to Italy and brought me some fabulous edible presents. The spaghetti, herbs and olive oil were all Italian and really did taste special. Even if your ingredients are from the UK (as mine usually are), this is a bit like the Italian spaghetti with oil and garlic dish so you might just be able to pretend you’re on holiday!
Ingredients for spaghetti with herbs, pine nuts and cherry tomatoes (serves 2):
– 150g dried spaghetti
– Olive oil
– 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
– A generous sprinkle of dried herbs (e.g. oregano)
– Pine nuts
– Cherry tomatoes
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the spaghetti, along with a splash of olive oil. I always find it easiest to break up the spaghetti (although this is probably very un-Italian). Simmer for around 10 mins until tender, stirring occasionally.
2. When the spaghetti has about 5 minutes left, heat a good splash of olive oil in a separate pan and add the garlic and herbs. Sautee very gently over a low heat without allowing the garlic to go brown. After a minute or two, add the pine nuts, rocket and tomatoes.
3. When the spaghetti is tender, stir into the sauce and enjoy.
Time for another blogging confession I’m afraid. I’m running a few days behind and can’t remember what I had for dessert! Fruit and dairy-free chocolate is probably the most likely option and I’ll be catching up on myself at the weekend.